Agricultural and Biofuel News - ENN

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Ecology and Pigs

If I could trace my zeal for sustainable living to one thing, it would stem from my studies of ecology and the interrelatedness of all things living. The idea that we are all (animal, plant and mineral) dependent on each other. I had a Jewish friend once say to me, "Nothing testifies of a God more to me than the complex and co-dependent relationship between man and his environment."

Part, if not most, of our problems with the deteriorating state of the environment come from a total obliviousness to this relationship. 

Point in case: No one stopped Eygyptian officials when they decided the best way to combat swine flu was to decimate the country's pig population. A year later, that oversight is haunting those officials as the streets fill up with trash because their country's organic waste disposal system (the pigs) is now dead.

See this The New York Times article for more details, Belatedly, Egypt Spots Flaws in Wiping Out Pigs

No comments: