Agricultural and Biofuel News - ENN

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Consumption Strategies

I heard story on NPR a while back that has really changed the way I think. If I remember correctly, they were talking about the European vs. American way of thinking about economic issues. Americans will buy the most for the least amount, versus spending a little more on quality instead of quantity, a more European approach. A caller told the following story, which happened to him in Japan (I know Japan is not in Europe):

He was at work and took a break, walking to the vending machines. He wanted a Coke and saw that there were two sizes: a large can that cost the equivalent of a US $1.00 and a smaller can that cost the equivalent (roughly) of $1.25. He put in his money and purchased the larger can. His co-worker, a Japanese man, came in and put his money in and purchased the smaller can. "Why did you buy that one he asked? It's 25 cents more and you get less." The co-worker replied, "I wasn't that thirsty."

I've thought a lot about this story, because I would have bought the larger can too. And wouldn't most of us? But I've been calculating the fall out from that same scenario multiplied day in and day out and multiplied in scope...waste and overconsumption galore! Doesn't it in some part account for our overstuffed garages, overfilled garbage cans and perhaps our bulging stomachs?

Does money and making a deal overule our sense of fulfillment, quality, aesthetics, sustainabilty? Somehow we must turn into consumers with more lofty values that govern our buying decisions.

I'm trying. The other day I went to the store to buy a new large tupperware-ish container. I found the container I needed, but looking at the sticker, balked at the price. I suppose, it's been a while since I've bought plastic storage containers, but the price seemed outrageous. I put the item back on the shelf and looked around for a cheaper solution.

Then I saw a box of eight different sized containers (including the one I needed) for only a few dollars more. I took the large box off the shelf. "Might as well, right?" the deal grabber in me said. "But wait," I stopped myself, "I hate having to dig through a pile of lids and containers in my storage cabinet. I have plenty of small containers, I only need the large one." I put the box back on the shelf and took back my one container. I paid the hefty price, but with pride now, knowing that I had overcome my money grubbing tendancy and made a more intelligent choice.

No comments: