Agricultural and Biofuel News - ENN

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Cook with Your Kids, Create Family Memories


by Reed Alexander, author of the new kid-friendly cookbook KewlBites: 100 Nutritious, Delicious, and Family-Friendly Dishes

In my family, travel has always been the heart and soul of "spare time." Our favorite way to bond together, get to know each other a little better, and let off some steam is to hop on a plane, strap on our seatbelts, and embark on an amazing adventure. Whether it's a quick weekend relaxing by the pool in Miami, hiking in Sedona, indulging in afternoon tea in London, or strolling the streets in Paris, travel is always at the top of our list, and we keep running tabs on the countless must-see places we want to visit next.

During our travels, rather than stocking up on lots of souvenirs from our trips to place around the house, we load up on "edible souvenirs"—culinary takeaways and inspirations from our excursions that we can immerse into our dietary routines and bond again at home.

In our household, I'm the designated cook, so a lot falls on my shoulders when it comes to remembering the crème-de-la-crème from our eating-related outings while on the road! In my book, I've recreated many of my most beloved international influences and recipes or flavor profiles I've picked up on while on holiday abroad.
For instance, my Tarragon and Chive Egg Salad holds up really well while at room temperature, and always takes me back to the UK, where light egg salad on crust-less bread is essential at any high tea get-together. My take features (as the name suggests) fresh chives and dried tarragon for a boost of flavor, while I cut back on fat by splitting low-fat mayo and Dijon mustard, as well as just six whole eggs and six egg whites only.

I have so many amazing memories of cooking up this delectable family favorite with my mom. She assumes the role of sous chef and is usually relegated to the job of boiling and chopping the eggs, while I prepare the dressing. Once we finish cooking, we get to share in the satisfaction and pride as our friends and relatives dive in. Team work at its finest!

Check out this video for the Reed's UK-inspired egg-salad recipe:


Another tasty option that evokes the European palate is my open-faced tapas sandwiches. I speak Spanish fluently, so when my parents and I spent two weeks in Spain together, I was the designated translator. I had a blast! My homage to our tapas encounters in Spain includes my Tapas-Style Open-Faced Tuna Sandwiches and my Tapas-Style Open-Faced Salmon Sandwiches with Dill Pesto. The former offers a traditional Catalan combination of tuna, lemon, olives, and herbs, while the latter evokes the fresh smoked and cured salmon from Scotland that is so popular on the continent, married with a rich, velvety drizzle containing fresh dill, Dijon mustard for a little kick, silky smooth olive oil, and more. They couldn't be easier to create at home, and your kids will have a one-on-one introduction to smoked salmon—a lean protein that works just as well at brunch as it does with this fast and fresh sandwich in a pinch, minus the top layer of bread.
So get into the kitchen, break out the whisks, pots, and pans, and cook up some long-lasting memories of your own with your family, imparting to your kids life-skills to which they will always turn.


Try out some of the "memories" Reed collected in his new book, available from your favorite retailer: Rodale StoreAmazonBarnes & NobleIndiebound


via Rodale News http://www.rodale.com/cook-kids


No comments: